Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Blog Posting # 8

MY COHORT
I read many of my classmates work and was really inspired by all of them. One that I would say I learned something or gained new insight was on Charis's blog. She is talking about blog #2 and the quote that impacted her the most. She then added her own thoughts and said, " My students will be taking risks that may leave them open to ridicule as they share their thoughts and feelings with others. As a teacher, it is my responsibility to establish a bond of trust that let's my students know that it's alright for them to explore the world around them and share their discoveries without fear of being mocked."

I thought this was so important. I also noticed in her writing that what she talked about in this blog also relates back to the morning meetings blog. It is amazing the connections find and the way morning meetings are valuable and is a great way to bond with your students and to have them gain trust in you.


THE OTHER COHORT
The other blog I looked at from the other class was by Kjersti Helberg. She said,
"I also feel like it is so important for each child to have personal time with the teacher where they feel like they are the most important kid to the teacher at that moment. This might be special time when all of the kids are outside or a time during small groups where the student gets to interact with the teacher. I think in this time like in the chapter you could talk about goal setting, interview the student to see where they are at emotionally in the class, just talk to the student about something that is not usually discussed in class anything to make them feel special. I think in a classroom of 30 students it would probably be pretty easy to feel like you were just another m&m in the bowl with nothing special about you. I want to make sure I take the time to make all of my students feel like they are important to me to encourage them to continue to put forth effort in my class to do their best!"

Wow this was really valuable to me! I agree completely with her thoughts and it really made me realize how important it is and how it is my duty to make my students feel loved and cared about. Every teacher is always running around trying to get things done, but when you think about it if you don't grow a bond with your students and give them the time the need and deserve, then the work and the stress level for you as a teacher is going to be high! It is so important for students to not feel like they are just another number (child) in the classroom. Talking with students one on one my not only help your relationship with them, but it could help them personally and academically! Great insight Kjersti!

P.S. Sorry 2-3 sentences was way to difficult for me! There was just so much good and insightful words! ENJOY!!!


1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you are so passionate about this... and that you recognize thoughtful, passionate insights from others! You rock! 4 points

    ReplyDelete