Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Blog Posting #6

Choosing which way to differentiate, for readiness or interest, is a really hard question to answer. I think it is important to differentiate both ways. I think both ways helps you better help your students, depending on the situation. Sometimes it is really important to put students together based on readiness because then they are with a group that are on the same level and are learning equally. Placing students that are not on the same learning level can be hard at times for those that are higher developed. However, if I was to choose one particularly, I would choose for interest. I was sitting in my classroom management thinking about this question. We were talking about when students are interested they tend to do better. Then it came to me! I would be more interested in differentiating on my students interest. I love when students have a choice and when they have a say in what they are learning and how. I think it builds closer relationships with other students in the classroom that are similar to them. I also think they would be more apt to doing their work and caring more about doing it right and it looking good. When students enjoy what they are doing they succeed!

1 comment:

  1. It's neat to know that you were making connections between your classes! Good thinking! When kids are motivated to do better, they will try harder, or be more careful, or really work hard to show you what they understand. When that is the goal, that should be how you differentiate. You're right... sometimes they need the support of working with others who are at their levels, and sometimes they need the support of working with somebody at a different level... both of those situations are differentiating for readiness. The first is similar readiness, and the next is mixed readiness. 4 points

    ReplyDelete