Thursday, January 6, 2011

Blog Posting #1

1. What are your favorite things to do when you aren't in school or doing homework?
I love sports especially basketball. I love watching and playing all of them. I also love the outdoors and enjoy trying new things. Summer time is my favorite time of year because I am able to go boating. I pretty much live on the water in the summer. When it's too hot to go outside or too cold to do anything, I enjoy scrapbooking and being crafty. I also enjoy reading and watching movies.

2. When have you been really proud of yourself? Please explain why you felt that way.
I would say the most memorable time I was really proud of myself was when I made Lion of the Quarter, which was in middle school. This is only given to students that have truly worked hard in their learning and showed it in action and grades. The teachers nominate you for this and it is an honor to receive. I got a plaque and had a ceremony where my parents came. This made me feel really good and helped me to feel appreciated for all the hard work I had done. It also felt good to see the acknowledgement and influence teachers really have in your lives.

3. What are you really good at in school? How do you know?
I wouldn't say that there is one particular subject that I am really good in. I work hard in all of my classes and have a desire to do well. I am very organized and school driven and have been since I started school. I believe this is what helps me excel and do well in school and each class that I take. How I know this is by the standards I set for myself and by seeing at the end of the year or semester of whether or not I achieved them or not.

4. What background, talent, skill and interest do you have in each of these:
a) music: I love all music. In middle school I was in concert choir and really enjoyed this. When I got older, I then decided to focus on sports. I love to sing but just for fun and never in front of a crowd, unless it's in a big group where my voice is not detected. :)
b) visual arts: Art is just beautiful to me and I enjoy looking at it. I have always wanted to draw and become artistic so I got a drawing set. I feel I could develop a love just for fun in this area but never have time to really focus on doing it well. If someone was to ask me to draw something for them, it would be stick figures and would probably be mistaken for something else...meaning they wouldn't be able to tell what it is.
c) dance: Dance is always a good time.I danced when I was little but that was when I realized I was just too big and made for a soccer and basketball player. I enjoy dancing for fun with friends.
d) theater: I can't act at all! I am very interested in theater but can't do it myself. I can't keep a straight face for anything. Plays, movies, and any type of theater instantly grabs my attention.

5. What is hard for you? What makes it hard?
Something that is really hard for me is people not believing in themselves. I have come from a family that shows and models a lot of support. I care more about other people than I do myself so it makes it difficult when I see people especially children have doubts or negative thoughts. I am not a confrontational person so it is hard for me to see those things happen. I believe everyone is different and important and can achieve anything. It's hard to see others not feel or think the same way I do.

6. What is your favorite children's book, and why is it your favorite?
This is so difficult! Children's books are the best and there have been several that have touched me in some way. But one of my favorite books growing up, and still present, is "Miss Nelson is Missing". This book is so entertaining to me and so realistic. Deciding to be a teacher has made me love this book even more. It makes me wonder if my students will be like this and if they would miss me if I was gone. This book is funny and sounds exactly the way children act.

7. What is your favorite TV show, when you can spare the time to watch?
This is also a really hard choice for me because there are so many. If the Jazz or the Celtics are playing that would most likely be my first choice to sit down and watch. However, I love Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, and Glee. I can't just choose one because they are all really good and I have to make sure they are recorded so I can watch them when I have time.

8. What movie could you watch again and again?
A movie that I absolutely love is Italian Job. It never gets boring to me and I could watch it over and over again. I love Mark Walhberg and having him be the star in it doesn't hurt!

9. What are some things you really care about?
The most important thing I care about is my family. They mean everything to me and I would do anything for them. Another thing I care deeply about is my religion. Both of these help mold me to who I am and my outlook on life. They help me to be a better person. If I didn't have either of these two things, I would find no reason for life or happiness.

10. What will set you apart as a teacher?
The thing that I think will set me apart as a teacher is the way I care about kids, ALL kids. I have seen some sad situations that children have to go throw and have seen the impact it makes on their lives. I feel each child has a voice and each child needs to be heard, whether personally of educationally. Each has an affect on the child and their success in life and I want to be someone that can help them achieve this important step!

11. What else should I know about you as a person and a student that could help me be a better teacher? What would you like me to know about you that I haven't asked about?
As you can see I am a pretty straight forward person. I am not shy to show who I am or my opinions and beliefs. I have come from a family that has had their ups and downs in life, just like most families, and I believe that has helped me to see the world better and has really helped me to see children for who they are. Different situations result in different ways of learning and that is why I am so excited for this class!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I love that you are straightforward, confident, and secure in who you are! You'll be a wonderful influence on your students AND your colleagues! I'm so looking forward to getting to know you even better this semester. Thanks for being willing to share your thoughts and hopes and dreams. 4 points

    ReplyDelete